Uploading multiple circles at once
In this article, we’ll show you how to use our CSV upload tool to easily create multiple circles at once.
Before you begin:
Here’s a couple of things you’ll need to know before you start the CSV upload process:
- You’ll need to use a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- You can upload up to 20 circles with 16 members in each (320 in total).
There are 2 parts to the CSV upload process: First, you’ll need to prepare your spreadsheet and save it as a CSV file. Next, you’ll upload the file in my.circl.es to create your circles. Read on to find out how.
Part 1: Preparing your file for upload
To prepare your file for upload, follow these steps:
1. Download the sample CSV template. Open it with a spreadsheet application such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel
2. Alternatively, you can open a blank spreadsheet and add the following column headers, in this order:
- Column A : First Name
- Column B : Last Name
- Column C : Email
- Column D : Circle Name
3. Next, add your circle information to the relevant fields in the spreadsheet. If you’re using the CSV template, make sure to delete the sample data.
Reminder: You can add up to 20 circles with 16 participants in each.
4. Once you’ve added all of your participants to the spreadsheet, you’ll need to save the file in CSV format.
You can usually do this by opening the “File” menu in your spreadsheet program, and looking for the option to “Export” or “Download as .CSV”. (Different spreadsheet applications will vary!)
- If you’re creating your file in Google Sheets go to file > download as > comma-separated values file (CSV).
- If you’re creating your file in Microsoft Excel go to file > save as > select .CSV from the “save as type” drop-down menu. Click Save.
Great! Now that you’ve prepared your CSV file, you’re ready to upload it!
Part 2: Uploading your circles
To upload your circles to my.circl.es, follow these steps.
1. After logging into your my.circl.es account, click on “Circles” in the navigation menu at the top of the page, then click “upload circles”.
2. Now, you can either drag your prepared CSV file into the box that says “Drag and drop your csv file here”, or you can click “select file” and choose it from your file browser.
Note: If you click “Select a file”, you will only be able to choose files that are in CSV format
3. Once you have selected your file, click “Upload”
4. Next, you’ll arrive at the “Review your upload” page. Here you will see a list of all of the circles you are uploading.
- In the top right corner, you’ll see a green box containing the total number of circles and circle members being uploaded
- On the right of each circle name, you’ll see the total number of members being added to that particular circle.
5. If you click on the name of one of the circles, the box will expand and reveal all of the members within that circle for you to review.
Note: If your file contains any duplicate contacts in the same circle, we’ll automatically remove them from the circle for you. You’ll see a yellow box on top of the list of circles – hover over the box to see the details of your duplicate contact.
6. If everything looks good, simply click “Create circles”. You’ll see a confirmation message that the upload was successful.
7. Made a mistake with your circle upload? Simply click “cancel”, adjust the data in your spreadsheet as required, before exporting it as a CSV and uploading the file again.
Prefer to create your circles one by one? View this guide.